On Longing Exercise

Title: Call Me Artsy
Sentence 1: "The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale"(Susan Stewart).
Photo Credit: Nfocusphotos, the photographer is Nick Porcaro.
Artist Statement: I choose this image(of me holding a phone) because the quote mentioned scale. My body is near the phone and this photo depicts the relationship of scale well. For the phone and myself give the viewer an idea of how proportioned things are in our world. This photo also depicts much of who I am, a girly girl who loves to talk on the phone at times.
Image may contain: 1 person

Title: Bzzzaar fashion
Sentence 2: "Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experiences"(Susan Stewart).
Photo Credit: Emma Gougeon, Hunter M. Burnette, and Alexus Barnhart.
Artist Statement: I choose this series of photographs I took because the sentence given above dealt with objects. The photo series below involved me making outfits out of different objects or materials that would not normally be worn. The first photograph displays me with a dress I made out of paper towels. The second object I used to make an outfit was candy. The third was a dress out of a garbage bag. These objects that I used to make these outfits, now has an authentic experience attached to them. The experiences were made while taking the photographs with friends(while we made jokes about the objects) and after, when others assumed I was married because they could not tell that the paper towel outfit was made of paper towels. Even the second picture, with the bubbles relates to an authentic experience, as the bubble was captured in the photograph. We can capture experiences and memories but no objects last forever.

He Better Clean UHis Act

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, weddingImage may contain: 1 person, closeup
 Life Isn't Always Sugar Coated 

Don't Call Me Trashy and I Just Got Dumped


Title: Towering Down
Sentence 3: "The souvenir reduces the public, monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped into the body"(Susan Stewart).
Artist Statement: I choose this photo because elements of the sentence above are prevalent in the process of me making the art piece below. The word public stands out from the sentence above. When making art I think of how it is meant for the public to view. Art can be monumental. It can be anything you want it to be. The three dimensional into the miniature section above, relates to this piece as it was three dimensional. It displayed the towers of Flagler College. It was turned into a two dimensional piece but much smaller, due to the fact that it needed to be drawn with charcoal on a piece of paper. The section about how the piece can be enveloped into the body is relevant. This is because I made the art piece and I go to Flagler College, I feel more connected to the school. Now I have a sentimental souvenir I created, I can think back on all the memories with when I graduate. 



Title: You got a friend in me
Sentence 4: "To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy"(Susan Stewart).
Artist: Taylor Illingworth
Artist Statement: I choose this photo because elements of the sentence above relate to the photo below. This piece was painted by a friend of myn. Exotic was the first word to come to mind from above. My friend who made the piece was from England. I will always cherish this birthday present and now it has become a souvenir of our friendship.

No photo description available.

Title: Film Stills Galore
Sentence 5: " The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated"(Susan Stewart).
Photo Credit: Jacob Ross and Emma Gougeon.
Artist Statement: I choose this photo series that I did for a project for art history three because the locations of the piece were not the focal point. The sentence relates to the photos below as though there are some locations. The fact that these photos were supposed to be similar to film stills, emphasizes on what role the person is in. Each photo depicts a kind of character the artist, Cindy Sherman wanted to be. She was getting at how society viewed women. These film stills do depict real locations, however, the viewer is supposed to look past this and understand her message. In the sentence above, the desire to be generated is portrayed because the artist had a bigger message revolving around society. She wanted to change society norms. By having me mimic her film stills, suggested that I could try and get a better understanding for what the artist was about. There is a connection, a desire and a purpose involved with these film stills  because the artist and I are both females who both want to be ourselves with out worrying about society judging us or others.
Image may contain: 2 people, including Cindy Briody, people on stage, night, concert and text Image may contain: 2 people, outdoorImage may contain: 1 person, indoorImage may contain: 2 people, people sitting and indoorImage may contain: one or more people and indoorImage may contain: 1 person, closeupImage may contain: 1 person, closeup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spatial Map

Hair-A Natural History Of The Senses

The Soap Carving Assignment